Euro Horse Connections Program
- Euro Horse Connections Academy Facilities
- Student Housing
- Student Life & Activities
- Horse Shows
- Visiting Clinicians
Euro Horse Connections operates out of Lawton Stables in the beautiful Sea Pines Resort on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. The barn and riding arenas were constructed between 2009 and 2010 and offer an elite training facility and equine accommodations. Lawton Stables is nestled on 24 acres and has easy access to the scenic Sea Pines Forest Preserve which covers 606 acres of natural beauty. Euro Horse Connections Academy is in its own private section where riders can enjoy a private lounge specially designed for riders to have their own place to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
The State of the Art boarding barn offers 19 12'x12' stalls. The stalls have individual fans, drainage, and thick rubber matting. Students have access to a fully-secured and temperature controlled tack room, a private lounge with kitchen, full bathroom, laundry services, three outdoor wash stalls and two indoor wash stalls.
Our championship and warm-up arenas have a special sand-clay-synthetic footing for high-level training. We have a 400' x 200' grass arena that is ideal for practicing show-level jump courses. In addition to our fully irrigated grass paddocks we have quarantine/medical paddocks. Horses receive grain and hay twice a day, supplements as needed, owner-supplied medications, daily turnout on our irrigated grass paddocks, twice daily stall maintenance, and blanketing. Academy staff members will schedule vet and farrier services as needed and perform regular deworming and vaccinations. All of our horses are given a top quality Timothy Orchard mix hay and an individual feed plan is customized for each horse.
Student accommodations at Euro Horse Connections Academy are provided by our partner, Hilton Head Preparatory School (HH Prep). HH Prep is a leading private, independent, co-educational day school located less than one mile from the Academy.
Students are responsible for daily chores such as making their beds daily, washing their linens, towels and personal clothes on a weekly basis, keeping personal items neatly stored, and the kitchen clean. Rooms are inspected weekly by the Resident Instructor(s) and routinely by the Director of Student Care.
The Director of Student Relations at Euro Horse Connections and Director of Student Care at HH Prep, and their staff provide counseling, transportation and supervisory services.
Students’ curfew is 9:00pm on week nights with lights out by 10.00pm. Weekend lights out is 11pm. This is enforced with nightly bed checks conducted by the House Parents(s).
Emergency medical assistance is available to students on a 24-hour basis by the Island Security who are trained in CPR and emergency first aid. Hospitals, walk-in clinics and specialists are all located within a short distance of the student residences. Doctor visits may be easily scheduled as needed and in consultation with parents.
Meals are prepared daily on property by a House Parent. Extra care is placed on providing nutritious and healthy options with a variety in order to cater to the different nationalities present in housing. A hot breakfast and dinner are served daily and students have the option to bring snacks and lunch food with them to school or they may purchase lunch at school.
Weekend activities are offered that are fun and interesting; students are given a weekly schedule in advance. Housing is also located within walking distance to the beach, many popular shops and restaurants allowing students some independence.
Euro Horse Connections Student Handbook is distributed to students upon arrival. The content of the handbook, which includes academic policies and procedures, boarding rules and regulations, and the student code of conduct, is explained to parents and students at registration. Each student is responsible for reading and understanding the contents of the handbook and must sign an agreement to abide by the handbook. Students are also required to abide by the rules of the Hilton Head Prep Student Housing Handbook.
Students are housed in 3-4-bedroom houses, each with its own balcony. Boys and girls are housed in separate houses. Each house is fully furnished and provides comfortable common areas where students can study and spend time together. No more than two students share a bedroom. Each student is equipped with a twin size bed, a dresser, and a desk. Students are responsible for providing their own sheets and towels. No more than two students share a bathroom. Each bathroom has a tub/shower combo and a sink. Students are responsible for bringing their own toiletries. Each apartment also has a full furnished kitchen and laundry room.
Euro Horse Connections Academy partners with Hilton Head Preparatory School, a private, independent, co-educational day school located less than one mile from the Academy. Prep, as it is referred to by the locals, is a full K-12 school and prides itself on its high level of academics as evidenced by its extensive offering of AP and Honors-Level courses. Prep belongs to the South Carolina Independent Schools Association. It is the only school on Hilton Head Island to be accredited by the prestigious National Association of Independent Schools. Over fifty percent of the faculty holds advanced degrees in their subject area. One hundred percent of Hilton Head Prep’s 450 students are accepted into the country's leading colleges and universities. There are approximately 200 students in the upper school (grades 9-12), which allows Prep to offer students small class sizes and an individualized approach to learning. Prep also provides support for serious student athletes who must travel and miss certain amounts of schooling for their sport.
The mission of Hilton Head Preparatory School is to "educate college-bound students in a safe environment. Instilling personal integrity is central to our educational purpose. We strive to prepare a diverse population of qualified students for academic challenges, for a successful college experience, and for rewarding lives."
The Academy takes our students’ academic performance as seriously as their riding. Our Director of Student Relations receives regular reports from the school indicating the progress of each student to ensure that all academic requirements are being met. Additional tutors or assistance can be arranged at any time during the school year, HH Prep and Academy staff are on-hand to make sure each student gets the support he or she requires.
The Academy works closely with the college counselors at Hilton Head Preparatory School as well as with the students and their families to provide college placement guidance and support. Prep also oversees the preparation for standardized testing (SAT and ACT) and is an administering site for both the SAT and ACT. TOEFL courses and testing may also be arranged.
The ultimate goal is to help our students achieve their academic goals so that they are prepared to attend the college that is the best fit for them academically and athletically.
Hilton Head Island is a fun and safe location where Euro Horse Connections Academy Students have many activities at their disposal. While our riders are usually at school or the barn, they do enjoy free time on
non-horse show weekends and evenings. Student housing plans various activities including movie nights, group dinners, shopping trips, bowling, kayaking, miniature golf, paddle boarding and surfing, beach days, and even trips to nearby cities like Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Students also have the opportunity to participate in various clubs and activities offered through Hilton Head Prep during the school day. Examples include Drama Club, Chess Club, Art Club, Zonta, and many other options. In addition to fun activities, students are encouraged to be involved in the community. Each student must complete at least ten hours of community service as a requirement of Hilton Head Prep and many students choose to participate more, whether it is through the therapeutic riding center available to special needs riders offered at Lawton Stables or through the many community service opportunities available on Hilton Head.
Competition is an important part of Euro Horse Connections Academy experience. Our trainers work with our students to set specific training goals in order to promote success at horse shows. Throughout the academic year students will attend between two and three shows each month. Riders can expect to show on the regional A/ AA circuits. Our primary sites for the AA shows are the World Equestrian Festival Wellington FL, Ocala FL, Tryon International Equestrian Centre NC and Atlanta, GA. We also attend other equestrian facilities in the SC and NC show circuit. For students who qualify, national shows include Maclay Finals and National Pony Finals. For competition purposes, we require that all of our students become members of the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF).
Euro Horse Connections is affiliated with the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) and the United States Hunter Jumper Association (USHJA).
In addition to our full-time professional staff, Euro Horse Connections Academy hosts visiting clinicians several times a year in order to provide students with a broad training perspective. Our trainers utilize their local, national, and international equestrian connections to bring qualified clinicians to the International Riding Academy. Visiting clinicians have included Bobby Dreyer, head trainer of Sun River Farms and USEF “R” rated judge; Chris Mitchell, Director of Riding and Equestrian Head Coach at Randolph College in Lynchburg, Virginia; and Gemma Paternoster multi medal winning international Grand Prix rider. All clinics are offered at no additional cost to our full-time students.
Full Time Junior Program
Full Time Junior Riding Program includes:
The Euro Horse Connections Program taught by our Head Trainer and our professional team for peak competition riding and performance
- Training Monday –Friday
- Video analysis
- Personalized plan for achieving set goals
- Specialized training exercises to isolate specific areas for refinement
- Competition preparation
- Horse care and management
- Stable management
- Forward seat riding theory
- The program includes a series of assessments, technical, and pre horse-show schedules to prepare students for competition
- The program includes the training of the rider’s horse and the rider to perform to their peak in competition
- Training runs Monday through Friday from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm to fit in with both school schedules
- The Academy is available Saturdays from 9:00am-12:00pm for students needing additional work at Head trainer’s discretion or a free ride session
- The Head Trainer will personally oversee each rider’s development and will be the primary trainer at the Academy and at horse shows
- Set horse show schedule for Academy students on local, ‘A’ and ‘AA’ rated shows with performance review and training throughout the competition as well upon completion
- Daily instruction to include structured lessons on student’s own show horse both in group and individual settings, as well independent riding time, which includes riding-specific fitness training while mounted
- Sports Psychology and mental training and mentoring can also be provided
- The Riding Performance Evaluation Tracking System provides continual progress assessments to ensure achievement of goals
- Transportation from school and back to housing after riding. College placement assistance
- ACADEMICS: Academics are taken very seriously at the Euro Horse Connections. As a result, we have partnered with an institution upholding the highest academic standards while supporting the riding schedule. Please visit Hilton Head Preparatory School’s website for more information, www.hhprep.org We are more than pleased to assist with scheduling tours of the school. The cost of attending the Hilton Head Preparatory School is in addition to the Euro Horse Connections program costs. Please discuss the current enrollment rates with Prep and be sure to ask about the lunch package.
- COMPETITION: Euro Horse has a set schedule of horse shows that we will accompany the students to. Each student will be responsible for the costs of joining the respective memberships and Horse show costs. In addition, there will be a pass-through charge for each event from the Academy to cover actual costs of transportation, lodging, and meals.
- OWN HORSE: Riders are expected to bring or lease one horse which will be their dedicated show horse. Leases may be arranged independently or through the Academy to suit every rider’s needs. Riders will be responsible for bringing their own tack for their horse, as well as any additional costs associated with their own horse, whether leased or owned, including vet, farrier and other related costs.
- HOUSING: Students board with Hilton Head Preparatory school in its own private and dedicated housing. Boarders will be transported to Prep each morning, picked up by Academy staff and taken to the riding facility, and then transported back each night to housing. Activities are planned for every weekend, and nutritious and tasty meals are prepared nightly by a professional house parent.
- USHJA/USEF: All students will become members of the United States Hunter Jumper Association and the United States Equestrian Federation. Euro Horse Academy is an affiliated member of the USHJA and USEF; Students are tested on horsemanship and riding ability.
- VISITING AND THE SEA PINES RESORT: The Sea Pines Resort is able to assist our riders and their families find any type of accommodation needed while visiting the Academy, from deluxe hotels to family homes and condominiums. Please call 866-561-8802 to make your reservations or book directly online at www.seapines.com. Other accommodations may also easily be arranged through other hotels and private rental agencies.
- INSURANCE: Major medical insurance is required for each rider.
VISA: Hilton Head Preparatory School will file all necessary paperwork for international students to obtain the I-20 Visa once the student has been accepted in the Euro Horse Academy and Prep, and the school’s tuition is paid.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please visit the Hilton Head Preparatory School at www.hhprep.org for additional details or contact Zara Kelly at email@example.com, (561) 635-7929