Financial Aid Procedures
Hilton Head Preparatory School's financial aid program supports the beliefs that a Hilton Head Prep education should be made available to as many highly-qualified students as possible and that maintaining an economically diverse student body is important to our school. Financial aid is provided in the form of a tuition reduction and is awarded based solely upon a family's financial need. We understand that because completed tax returns are required, the February 15, 2015 deadline may be challenging. However, in order to make awards in late March, this deadline is important.
Each year the Board of Trustees establishes tuition, the overall budget for the school and a budget for the total amount available for financial aid. Using this as a guideline, the Financial Aid Committee evaluates applications and makes awards to as many families as possible.
To ensure impartiality, Hilton Head Prep uses an outside service, School and Student Service (SSS) to evaluate applications. Using their assessment and the other materials submitted, the Financial Aid Committee determines how much assistance can be offered to a family based on the school's overall budget. Awards are made to students in good standing based upon the family's financial need. (Please note that SSS will provide you with a copy of their recommendation to Hilton Head Prep, but you must request it at the time of your application.)
- Families are encouraged to start the application process in November, but should submit their application to SSS no later than February 15, 2015.
- Parents of new students should complete admissions and financial aid applications concurrently; financial aid applications are considered only after a new student has been accepted.
- All families receiving aid must re-apply each year.
- In separated or divorced families, each parent or guardian must submit an application.
*Financial aid is for tuition only.
Financial Aid Application Process
1. Mark the appropriate financial aid box on the Application for Admission.
2. Complete and submit the Parent Financial Statement (PFS) form to the School and Student Service for Financial Aid online at sss.nais.org.
3. Submit copies of the following documents to SSS and Hilton Head Prep:
2014 Federal Income Tax return form 1040 with all attached schedules
All 2014 W-2 Forms
Business/Farm Statement (if applicable)
4. SSS will make recommendations regarding the amount of financial aid a family needs, however, it is the responsibility of the Financial Aid Committee to review the calculations and to make the final award. Decisions are influenced by the availability of school resources, the number of qualified applicants and overall budgetary constraints.
Helpful hints in applying for Financial Aid
- Families may begin the process online at sss.nais.org beginning November 15, 2014.
- The deadline for submitting the application and supporting materials to SSS and submitting all materials to Hilton Head Prep is February 15, 2015. This deadline is important; although late applications are accepted, funds may not be available.
- Families should also submit the following directly to the Hilton Head Prep Financial Aid Committee by February 15, 2015:
- A cover letter to the Financial Aid Committee outlining the reasons for applying and/or any unusual family or financial circumstances. This is an opportunity to address the committee and help the committee understand more about a family's individual situation and need.
- A completed Hilton Head Prep "Supplemental Financial Aid Form." This form is available from the Admissions Office and will be mailed to each family currently receiving financial aid.
It is the parents' responsibility to complete the Financial Aid application process by the given deadlines. The primary responsibility for financing a student's independent school education rests with the family. This noted, Hilton Head Prep's Financial Aid program makes every effort to help all eligible applicants.
For questions about the application process or paperwork, please contact:
Bobbie Somerville, Director of Admissions and Financial Aid
email@example.com or 843-671-2286
For questions about qualification or appeals, please contact:
Mr. Peter Cooper, Headmaster
firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-671-2286
Hilton Head Preparatory School admits students of any race, color, national, ethnic, or religious affiliation to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarship program, and athletic or other school-administered programs.